McFaddin-Ward House Museum

Prior to her death in October 1982 Mamie McFaddin Ward set strategies to turn the McFaddin residence, situated at 1906 McFaddin Avenue in Beaumont, right into a museum, a job for which she established the Mamie McFaddin Ward Heritage Structure. The gallery includes the house, carriage house, and collection, which the McFaddin family obtained between the 1890s and also 1940s. It exhibits the way of living of an affluent Southeast Texas family between 1907 as well as 1950. In July 1983 the board hired its initial director, as well as the museum opened up in March 1986. The collection is committed to the attractive arts as well as is composed of an estimated 12,000 items varying from Midwestern made furniture, Asian carpets, and also American as well as English silver, to Continental European porcelain as well as Italian sculpture. The house itself was developed in 1905 by Henry Conrad Mauer of Beaumont in a blend of Victorian as well as Greek Rebirth designs, which likewise betrays a solid French beaux-arts influence. The whole lot for the house as well as carriage house, also made by Mauer, comprises a full city block. Part of the land had been purchased in 1853 by Mamie Ward’s grandpa, William M. McFaddin, and component had been approved him by the Republic of Texas. McFaddin’s little girl, Di (McFaddin) Averill, and her husband, Col. W. C. Averill, appointed the house after their previous residence refuted in January 1905. They moved in throughout the summertime of 1906, but soon decided that the house was also large for them. Mrs. Averill encouraged her bro, William Perry Herring McFaddin (Mrs. Ward’s papa), to exchange homes with them. After McFaddin and his other half, Ida Caldwell McFaddin, relocated in 1907, they added numerous spaces, consisting of the breakfast room and also conservatory. They likewise embellished the insides in a selection of styles, as was the style at the time, drawing on Colonial Rebirth, French Louis XV, as well as Renaissance Rebirth motifs. Throughout her tenure as lady of the house from 1950 to 1982, their little girl Mrs. Ward included in the collection, but she did not remodel any one of the areas.

Because the McFaddins were careful to maintain records concerning the home, household, as well as collection, the museum’s archives are a significant resource for regional as well as Beaumont history. The archives (more than 200 archival boxes) are composed of the papers of the primary relative along with blueprints, maps, plats, as well as bountiful service ledgers. There are additionally oral histories gathered by the team. In 1985 the board commissioned a site visitor facility. In February 1909 the house was included as the cover story for the Houston-based Southern Orchards as well as Houses, which asserted that “the building stands today … as one of the best in Texas.” It has actually been the topic of publications as well as various other publication featured articles. It was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and also 5 years later got a registered Texas historical marker.

Click here to visit our sites supporter

1906 Calder Ave, Beaumont, TX 77701

Click here for another Beaumont attraction – Gator Country